Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Weekend Update

The week following Frog has been pretty laid back.  On Wednesday we went to the Weiden town square to watch the semifinal World Cup match (Germany vs. Spain).  The square had three large screen tvs along the square with mobs of people watching each one.  Thankfully in Weiden, as opposed to Prague, the screens were set near restaurants and everyone was seated.  At first we couldn't find a place to sit, but then I walked back toward where we had come into the square, found a park bench, and carried it back to the viewing area. We ended up getting a really good spot with some teenagers in front of us who were both easy to see over due to their slouching, and allowed us to breath, since they weren't old enough to smoke.  Once we got settled we took turns taking the kids to get ice cream so we didn't lose our bench, and then I got a beer.  It was an Augustiner which is a brew out of Munich and was very good.  It was obviously a festive crowd and it was a lot of fun to watch a soccer game with knowledgable and excited soccer fans.  I enjoy watching soccer but usually am by myself as Noddy hasn't invited me to Brit's yet ;).  Before the game started they played the national anthems for both squads, and during the German anthem everyone stood up and belted it out which was cool.  The Spaniards pretty much dominated the whole game and it was fun to watch the fans pointing and yelling at the screen much like Americans do during an NFL game.  I never really realized it before, but soccer is a great game to watch for the simple fact that the action is constant and halftime is about 10 minutes long.  Also, I've noticed while watching at home that there is play by play person and that's it during the game.  I wish I could understand it because it would be so nice to watch a game and have the broadcaster simply just describe what is happening as opposed to American broadcasters who pore over the excruciating minutia, of every, single, second of the game.   Germany obviously lost and I was impressed with the German fans mood afterward.  Basically the whole crowd appeared to shrug it off and go home which shocked me.  The Vikings lose one game in Minnesota (ditto for Packers and GB / Milwaukee) and people are ranting on radio talk shows and standing on ledges ready to jump.





We laid low during the weekend.  Went to the Farmer's market on Saturday, watched a movie and then Saturday night there was a big bash at the Whale Bath.  We missed most of the action (djs, dancers, cocktails) due to bedtime, but the pool was packed and it was nice to cool off since it had been in the 90s pretty much all week.  Sunday we ran some errands and then went to Toy Story 3 on post.  Can't go wrong with a Pixar movie.

We are currently anxiously awaiting the arrival of my Mom tomorrow while she anxiously waits for her plane to take off (Drew you need to tell her what you take, she's another BA Baracas like you.)  The rest of the week we'll show her around here and then Saturday we head to Paris.  Should be a great time.

8 comments:

  1. First one in!

    where toward where

    I think I take some sort of Beta Blocker provided by the good doctor's wife. That and a healthy pour of brown.

    Danni should be able to provide you with some French phrases as he has been diligently studying that beautiful language. Make sure to get your family berets - it's the national hat fella!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why don't you send me the berets you and Jenn got?

    Thanks for the proofreading. I made the correction.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your kids sure are eating a lot of ice cream this summer! CK

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are eating a lot of ice cream. It's actually gelato and it's really cheap. We can get cones for all 5 of us and it's about 3 euro.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here here to good beer! By the way...you are in Germany so I am pretty sure it is football you are watching. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What happened to (pictures coming soon)? I'm patiently waiting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sorry you are intolerant of American sports broadcasters. I wish you had to endure John Madden as the commentator for the German v. Spain game. Do they set up an in-studio mini soccer field and have guys like Terry Bradshaw and Howie Long running mock plays? That's really helpful for me as a fan to get a better understanding of the game. I hope you had that sitting on the bench in the square, as I know you would love that.

    I hope Marsha arrives safely and you all have a lovely time in Paris. The King wants to set up a birthday party with your girls at the Frog TGIF. Thanks for letting her know they have them in Europe. Now instead of eating good local food, I'll be eating Jack Daniel's chicken nug nugs. I'll find a way to get you back!

    ReplyDelete